Monday, November 16, 2009

Are you computer literate?

j0314180I’m not asking whether your a computer geek or nerd. Kind of like you don’t need to know how fuel injection works on a car in order to drive one. Some people still in 2009 have a fear or apathy towards computers. As sort of a computer geek myself I find this incredible. I’ve taken college classes where people would (and still do) turn in papers hand written. Many times they cite they don’t have a computer or have one but don’t have the time to figure out how to use it. I’ve heard of some universities providing laptops for there students. It is practically an essential piece of college life .

Computers are used in almost every business (and homes) today in some shape or form. They are quick and efficient for communication and information. Of course the primary means of sharing this stuff is by the Internet. Almost every business big or small has a website these days.

Being computer savvy has many benefits:

  • You can use your computer more wisely and be an educated consumer.
  • The ability to use a computer is almost essential in most careers and jobs.
  • When your computer literate you’ll be less intimidated by technical jargon and be able to take advantage of new technologies.

One of my goals in writing this blog is to help others overcome this fear or apathy. I was a computer newbie at one time also. I remember when I used to think when my PC told me I performed an “illegal” function I thought for a moment that the authorities were going to start busting down my door(or something like that).  I’m not kidding. It’s a lot like taking care of a car. You don’t need to be an expert mechanic and be able to tear apart and build a car. You just need to know how to care for it and use it wisely and safely. 

No comments: