Saturday, August 1, 2009

Use caution bringing computer in for repair

This report found through PCMECH shows computer tech’s rifling through personal customer files. To make matters worse many of them over charged or exaggerated the repairs needed. In one case they charged for a repair that was never done. This isn’t the first type of report like this that I’ve seen.

j0422406Use caution should you have to bring it to a technician. If possible back up your data and remove it. and do a good cleaning with something like CCleaner to clean out history and passwords. If possible encrypt private files.

People that do this are unethical and possibly breaking the law. They also give your honest technicians a bad reputation. When I’ve repaired or troubleshoot someone's PC I do my best to do work without going into personal files or data. 99% of the time it isn’t necessary nor none of my business to go through personal stuff. Good luck and be  careful.

No comments: