Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dad, did you have Playstation's when you were a kid?

This is the question my 6 year old son asked me recently. He was quite surprised when I told him we didn't. Instantly I felt a bit old but it also got me to wonder what kind of gaming and technology will be around when he's an adult. What was around when I was a kid? Being a kid growing up in the 70's there was slim pickings. I knew nothing of computers or video games.



My first introduction was to Pong. I remember my grandfather(the old man was on the tech savvy side in the 70's) setting up Pong on an old black and white TV he had lying around. My Aunt(who was a year younger than I was) and I played for hours.



My second introduction to was when we finally got an Atari 2600 game console. We had Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pacman, Defender and many others. My sister and I would play for hours until our thumbs wore out. I remember wearing out the controllers that we'd need new ones soon. Reminds me of my son wearing out the the rubber cover on Playstation analog controllers. I actually still have the console in my basement though I'm not sure if it's the same one we used. It's missing the power cord I believe. I can't bring myself to sell or trash it. Maybe someday I'll make a project out of it.

Today although were a bit behind as far as gaming consoles still chugging along with our Playstation 2. There are a wide variety of gaming consoles Xbox360, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3 and not to to forget PC gaming. What will we be playing twenty years from now?

No comments: