Wednesday, January 7, 2009

PC shuts off randomly

For a few weeks now my computer had been just shutting of randomly. I would IMG_3497lose video but fans and hard drive would still be running. At first I thought it was a quirk.  Unfortunately it didn’t get any better. When it did happen I’d have to manually shut off PC (unplugging it). Wiggle wires inside and and usually would boot back up fine. At first I thought it may be the video card being overheated. Then the other thought that it was a power supply problem. Either overloaded or something else. It happened today and I finally got off my butt changed out the power supply. When I pulled all the plugs out I noticed that the 4-pin plug were singed black . Obviously I found my problem. I had pulled and reseated this one before and I had never noticed the discoloration. So my lesson for today is do a thorough check when reseating stuff. Don’t get impatient like I did and not examine a little closer. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Hardware Specs:

  • HP Pavilion A705W
  • 250 watt power supply(old)
  • 450 watt power supply(new)

 

No comments: