Friday, March 14, 2008

Recycling computers


Being known as a computer guy i tend to get peoples cast off and obsolete equipment. I don't mind this a bit and I'm always on the look out for stuff. On the other hand though I do end up collecting stuff that just doesn't work or I have no use for. What do I do with that stuff? Well one way to deal with this stuff is to recycle or dispose of it. Unfortunately much of the stuff you can't just throw in the weekly trash pick up. Especially monitors(CRT type) as they contain hazardous materials and such.

Here in Rhode Island they have a program and the central landfill in Johnston, Rhode Island where they collect computer stuff. It's quite easy too you just load up your vehicle with your computer stuff and bring it. You don't even have to get out of your vehicle they come and empty it for you. It's quite painless. I do it at least a couple of times a year. For more info you can check out the Rhode Island Resource Recovery website for a schedule. I just cleaned out my garage today because I'm planning to go tomorrow. For those that live outside of Rhode Island you can check out Earth911.org for further information regarding recycling PC's and other items.

No comments: