Sunday, August 10, 2008

Project: How to Build a PC


Lately I've had the itch to build a new personal computer(PC). So lately I've been going over what is needed to build one. I've built a few but it's been awhile since I've done it so I'd thought I'd go over it and share it here. I don't really find it that hard and think it's fun to build something. The hardest part(I believe) is researching and making sure the pieces will match up.

The major considerations you've got to consider are: What is going to be the main purpose of the PC. Is it going to be a gaming machine, home/office use, low budget or a combination of the above. The another consideration is how much your build budget is and how much time you've got to devote to it. Also whether to use new or used parts. Another consideration that may be a no brainer but, to decide whether you can build one.

Well if you've decided to take a project on I've broken down the project into the major components. Internal Hardware,external hardware and software(operating system etc.).

Internal Hardware:
  • Case
  • PSU(or Power Supply Unit)
  • Motherboard(or system board)
  • Memory (or RAM, Random-Access-Memory)
  • Graphics card(or video card)
  • Hard drive
  • Processor(or CPU)
  • Networking(WiFi etc...)
  • Floppy drive
External Hardware:

  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Monitor
  • Speakers
  • Microphone
  • Webcam
Software:

  • Operating System(Windows, Linux etc...)
  • Drivers for hardware(usually included with hardware when purchased)
  • Utility Software(antivirus,antispyware, firewall etc..)
This is the list I came up with. I'm sure I've probably left something out. My goal in the coming weeks and month's to go over each one of these more in depth as I go along. I'll share my research and thoughts on each subject and perhaps help someone else along the way. Thanks for coming by and I hope you'll return.

No comments: