Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Exploring ubuntu


After using and exploring ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) the more I'm beginning to like it. I just thought I'd share a few thoughts on it here. The interface and usability has out shined my expectations of it. I'm getting used to using the command line for certain items though a lot has been automated by the shell(gui) which makes it less intimidating. Though I'm getting over my initial fear of using the command line. I've been playing catch up on Linux terminology. So far there hasn't been a whole lot I haven't been able to use as far a functions and features compared to Windows XP. Somethings are even easier. I like it so far enough to consider it for my next PC build as my OS of choice. For the price you pay ($0.00) it may be worth checking out.

On another note a friend of my is visiting with us let me explore his new Acer laptop with Windows Vista. He recently upgraded his memory and it now works blazingly fast (despite Vista being a resource hog). Some of the features are nice and seemed to work fine while I was using it. Worth upgrading from XP is debatable. Much of it was nice eye candy but worth the money to upgrade from XP is debatable

No comments: