Saturday, June 30, 2007

Laptop hard drive upgrade



Just last night a friend asked me to install a new hard drive in his Dell Latitude C600 laptop. Seemed simple enough . Biggest challenge was transferring data or reinstalling his operating system (XP Pro) on the new larger drive. I looked up his system specs and other information on the drive. I was also researching on either reinstalling XP Pro versus transferring (or cloning) data. Upon checking out the new hard drive( Seagate 60 gb, st96812AS-RK) when I took it out I noticed something was amiss when I took it out of the box to inspect it I noticed it had a serial(SATA) interface. I rechecked the Dell Specs which were vague about the hard drive actual interface. I did find that it had an IDE interface. To confirm this I took out the old drive just to be 100% positive and sure enough no match. Now were back to square one. I don't know why I hadn't noticed this before because it says Serial ATA on the box. I haven't been able to get a hold of my friend yet to tell him so not sure where to go from here. He could return get his money back or buy a external enclosure for it and use it in addition to his 20 gb drive. Oh well we'll see.

No comments: