Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ubuntu- so far

So far I'm not too impressed with Linux (Ubuntu version), My biggest hang up so far has been trying to connect to the internet. My main means is by a wireless usb connection(D-Link DWL-122). Becuase it doesn't have Linux drivers with the original CD a work around. As much as I've researched this there is a way of doing with use of the command line and another using a program which would use the XP driver. The attempts I made were futile or just plain confusing. It seems as if this is more the OS for the uber geeks with a lot of time on there hands and a fair knowledge of Linux. I keep reading how Linux wants to rival Windows but I just don't see it happening. I'm not a computer novice and I found it very confusing. I can't imagine a Grandma from Maine trying to enter lines of code(command line or whatever it's called) to use her computer. As far as the preinstalled programs were ok and the computer runs fine but to have to enter lines of confusing commands is daunting. I think they've got a long way to go before they can think of going mainstream. I don't fear the penguin but I do wish he was a bit less confusing.

No comments: